Want to become a millionaire? Conventional wisdom says you'll have to be a rock star, sell lots of drugs, or (shudder) work long hours in a suit to achieve this goal. But no, you can be an ordinary working stiff and save millions with pure Tight Fisting. Today our inspiration comes from Verna Oller a Tight Fist extraordinaire from the American heartland who worked an hourly job filleting fish her whole life yet managed so save 4.5 million. (Ok, it also helps the she was a savvy investor.) Here is the story from ABC.
I don't really have much to add to the story, but let me call your attention to a few key points:
- Verna never went to a hairdresser- she always cut her own hair. (Maybe she read Tight Fist Tip #19)
- She did all her clothes shopping at thrift stores. (Tight Fist Tip #29)
- When her shoelaces broke, she replaced them with a zipper from an old coat.
- She cut her own firewood until she was 90.
- Although Verna was making millions trading stocks, she read the day-old newspaper from her neighbor since she didn't want to pay for her own subscription.